Chinese Hakka Noodles Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Chinese
Hakka Noodles – 1 and 1/4 cups
Onion – 2 tbsp chopped finely (optional)
Garlic – 2 tsp chopped finely
Carrot – 1 medium sized (chopped lengthwise)
Capsicum – 1/2 medium sized (chopped lengthwise)
Cabbage – 1/2 cup chopped lengthwise
Spring Onion – 3 tbsp (chopped finely includes both green and white part)
Vinegar – 1/2 tsp
Soya Sauce – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli Sauce – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1.5 tsp
Salt – to taste
Olive Oil – 1.5 tbsp + 1/4 tsp
- Chop all the veggies and keep it ready. Boil water(enough for the noodles to immerse) then add the noodles with 1/4 tsp oil. Cook noodles until soft. Drain water and wash it to remove the excess starch, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add onion, garlic and spring onion and fry until slightly browned. Then add the carrot , cabbage then saute for a minute in medium high flame till it slightly shrinsk in volume.Then lower the flame and saute till it shrinks further and raw smell of veggies leave.
- Then add capsicum and saute for a minute – I added capsicum later as it cooks faster when compared to other veggies.Then again keep in high heat and add soya sauce, giving a quick stir.
- Then add green chilli sauce and keep stirring then add vinegar, required salt and pepper powder. Finally add cooked noodles and give a quick stir until the noodles is blended well with the veggies.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- Always fry the veggies in high flame which gives a smoky flavour as in restaurants. Dont try to reduce oil then the veggies will get burnt when sauted in high flame. Capsicum takes less time to cook so I added it seperately later after cooking the other veggies.
- You can also toss the veggies by adding little more oil. Take care not to burn the veggies, keep stirring to avoid this.
- Adding oil while cooking the noodles helps to avoid stickiness.
- Though the chinese version uses white onion, I used the normal ones. But if you have white onions then that is best to use.
- I used Chings brand for soya and chilli sauce and I very much recommend it.
- I used olive oil but you can use normal cooking oil too.Also adding more soya sauce will spoil the taste and give a dull color to the noodles.
- Ajino motto is added in restaurants – I dont use it in my cooking for health reasons.
- Check the spice level before adding pepper as green chilli sauce is also added.