Peanut Chutney Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Peanuts – 1/3 cup
Small Onion(Shallots) – 14
Red Chillies – 2
Garlic -2 pearls (optional)
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Gingelly Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Hing – a pinch
- Dry roast peanuts till nice aroma rises and they turn slightly browned ,remove the skin and set aside. Heat 1/2 tsp oil – add onion,garlic,red chillies and tamarind saute till slightly browned. Cool down and grind this along with peanuts.
- Grind it to a smooth paste. Heat remaining 1/2 tsp oil and add the items listed under ‘to temper’ and add it to the chutney. Add required salt and mix well to combine.
Your peanut chutney is ready. Serve with idlis or dosass.
- Though adding garlic is optional, if you like garlic flavour dont skip it. I recommend adding it.
- Adding tamarind gives a slightly tangy taste to the chutney as peanuts gives a sweet taste. Also adding 2 red chillies is apt to compensate for the sweetness.
- I have seen some not removing skin too, its purely our preference. But I feel a slight bitter taste so always remove the skin.
- Another variation is you can add raw coconut while grinding or even saute a tbsp of coconut with onions and then grind it.