The festival of Rama Navami marks the birthday celebrations of the Hindu Lord Rama, who is considered to be one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu. According to the Hindu calendar, it falls on the ninth day of the Chaitra month, which is the Spring season. The prasadam / naivaidhyam made on the day are usually coolant in nature Neer Mor and Panakam are essential drinks for the occassion.
We are leaving to my sil’s place to Chennai tonite and hopefully the following 2 posts should be from there hopefully 🙂
Panakam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Beverage | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Water – 2.5 cups
Powdered Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Pepper – 4 seeds
Cardamom powder – from 1 big cardamom
Dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Tulasi(Basil) Leaves – few for garnish
Salt – just a small pinch
- Keep all the ingredients ready. First add powdered jaggery and let it dissolve.Peel off the skin of cardamom…Crush pepper and cardamom coarsely and add it along with fry ginger powder to jaggery water.
- Add lemon juice. Finally filter it and serve chilled.
Always serve chilled!Garnish with basil leaves and cardamom skin for extra flavour.
- Adjust lemon juice according to your taste.
- I used paagu vellam just to get the golden brown color, you can use normal jaggery too though paagu vellam is preferred.
- You can also add a tsp of karupatti for extra flavour.
- You can plus / minus the ingredients according to your choice.
- You can also use chilled water to make panakam.